Saturday, July 16, 2016

#English


One of my English students asked me sometime in late 80s about the use of the present perfect tense. He said his Australian colleague, an architect couldn't explain whether the action in this tense was completed, "I have slept well." and referred him to a teacher of English literature.
I answered with a question, "How can I talk while in sound sleep?"
This is how to explain if the action in the present perfect tense is completed or paused at the time of speaking.
I wrote an item containing all the 12 tenses in English to show them the difference in contexts and their sequels - that's by examples.
Puthpong Sao: It started in the past (expressed or implied) and continues through to the present time or moment when the action isn't taking place (either completely completed or paused.)
For instance:
I've read a new book. (The action is either completed or we have stopped reading i.e.it isn't taking place at the present moment and we will finish it any time in the future, suppose at week-end).
Sometimes, this tense is also used for an action taking place at a definite past time: it's either unknown or known but not expressed.
Example 2:
A: (calling B on phone) I've lost my watch anywhere.
B: You dropped it while playing volley ball yesterday afternoon. I found it.
Example 3:
C: Have you made a call to John?
D: I haven't yet.
E: I already told him.

No comments:

Post a Comment